Tuesday 20 January 2015

The False Promise of the Prosperity Gospel


The False Promise of the Prosperity Gospel: Why I Called Out Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer
Huffington Post Article by Pastor Rick Henderson

My Comment

Francis A. Schaeffer would call it personal peace and affluence.

I've listened to their sermons. Osteen has a good heart but not very strong with hermeneutics. He admits he's not that good. So I'm more against what he preaches than him as a person. Every preacher lacks something. Meyer is biblical on most things but shouldn't be labelled as "Pastor." The heart may be in the write place but that doesn't make them teachers. If you need life principles there are alternatives in your community or if not, I could suggest Charles Stanley.

I think publicly scorning bad teachers only puts people off. People's faith is dependent on these people in their lives. There are people who probably get saved through Osteen's preaching but just need to be properly equipped to study the scriptures on their own. That way they will be able to distinguish what is false and true. I was led to a few good teachers by the Lord. I was never attracted to those tv preachers. I just bought books that were concentrated on studying the bible and that has helped me understand God more. And the more I understand who God is and who I am in relation to Him then I have a clearer road to walk on.

All those preachers that don't teach anything to help me grow are ignored. But when someone cuts me off on my route to really push a view that will steer me off down the wrong direction and they ridicule me for objecting to it then I must explain why it is the wrong way. That is what I understand why this Pastor wrote this article. He sees so many people getting led down the wrong way. You have to see his heart as well. He doesn't want anyone to perish. Osteen wouldn't call you a sinner because he doesn't want to upset you. That's totally understandable. It's so hard to preach sin and hell to people because we fear hurting their feelings. This pastor who wrote this article is brave and is obviously trying to defend his God and not others or himself. He wants people to focus on God and not on getting a better lifestyle. Prosperity can be taught correctly. Their style of preaching is really mixed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Longer Enemies

The Doctrine of Reconciliation  Jesus offered reconciliation and restoration to Peter, who had denied Him three times. Reconciliation descri...