Friday 11 September 2009

A "Crutch"

Some people will say that God was just a crutch to get you through life. If I were to say that I believed in God just so that I could feel better about myself, or to get a spiritual breakthrough, I am saying that God is working for my own pleasure. He is then crafted as a filler for that hole in my heart or an aid to get through life's struggles and hardships. That would make me upright in my own eyes and the King of my domain. That would be pure selfishness.
I could be quite satisfied and content knowing that the world revolved around me. But God is not an assistant or substitute for the joy that was missing in my life. God is the reason for our existence. He deserves our attention not because He demands it, but because He wants a personal relationship with us.
I didn't run to Him to feel better like Psalm 23. He opened my heart and mind so that I would fall to His feet because He did not want me to be selfish anymore. He wanted me to live my life for Him, and not for my body. To say that He is a crutch would make me self-glorified and making Him low. I praise Him because of what He did on the Cross, because He is forgiving, merciful, and because I owe my life to Him. He is my maker and therefore owns me. I was bought with a price on Calvary and therefore am a slave to Him forever. He gave me free will to disobey Him or to love Him back. He deserves my attention and obedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resounding and Indisputable Victory over Death

The Doctrine of Resurrection The indisputable fact of Jesus’s resurrection displays glorious proof of God’s sovereignty over all creation. ...